Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cookies and Cab

Disclaimer:  I wrote this post on a Saturday, and true to form I'm releasing it late!  Open your mind's eye and head back in time to a Saturday and THEN read this blog post and it will all make sense, if your Saturday was, say September 15th that could be even better :)


Today the Boy and I had a couple more new adventures.  Together we made it through our overbooked Saturday.  Let me start by stating that I have a much larger family situation than the Boy does, and so far, I’ve been successful at keeping the wolves (so to speak) at bay.  Don’t get me wrong, we’ve exposed each other to our dark sides in the past, but as many of you may already know, visiting grandparents on Thanksgiving and delivering a joint gift to my niece on her 5th birthday fall a little far apart on the dating timeline.

OK, not the best pic. of us, his eyes closed and my crazy hair.
The Birthday Gal
As I’ve involved myself with an only child it stands to reason that my family is a little more demanding than his, so today when he mentioned making an appearance at a shindig on his side I politely obliged.  And in turn, his presence was duly noted at the aforementioned cinco de nina celebration.








I said all that to say that our Saturday was totally booked!  We actually ended up having a good time at each gathering and afterward (because we are in our late 20s) we turned our attention to ourselves.  What to do for our evening entertainment? Well, bake cookies, of course!

We trucked ourselves over to the grocery and picked out all the ingredients to re-create a much loved childhood favorite of the C-man.  He casually asked, “what kind of wine goes with Nieman Marcus Cookies?”

We made the cookies, well, I did, while he graciously folded all the laundry that was covering the couch and picked out a movie.  Then I broached the subject of wine.  The cookies are heavily laden with chocolate chips and chunks, butter and nuts.  I chose an American cabernet sauvignon because of the acidity, the fact that it was given to me (free), and lets be honest, because an all American cookie would certainly pair with a domestic wine, right? Sure!







The crispy little buttery cookies worked out beautifully with the acidity in the wine.  This cab was full of jammy blackberry and a little dark dried plum and walnutty flavor bringing out the chocolate.  The smooth sandy tannins make this a nice light pair for a late night dessert.  I should mention here I was informed that good 'ole "American milk" is also a "perfect pair."





The Details:

If you'd like to pick one up this is what it looks like!
Name: Justin Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles California

Price:  $25.00, WHAT??  I know, but you see, I didn’t know because this was a gift. so I opened a $25 bottle of wine to eat with cookies and looked up the price online to share with you all just now. My apologies for the sticker shock!  This one would probably go very well with something more substantial, but come on, the cookies needed something, and this was it.



Note:  I did not drink the entire bottle, so maybe this will be used with meat later :)

2 comments: