Saturday, September 1, 2012

Whirlwind



What a busy day today was.  Surprised this morning by news that I’d be attending a visitation I was thinking this post wouldn’t be possible.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not cold and unfeeling, but I live a little far from my former hometown now, and in turn the funeral home.  The only saving grace (no pun intended here, really):  I have a quick dinner in the bag.

Here’s the schedule:
4:30pm: leave work
4:50pm: Arrive @ the gym
5:30pm: Leave the gym (no comments on how brief that stint was please)
5:40pm: Arrive home, shower and get dinner in the oven
6:15pm: Leave home
7:00pm: Visitation
7:15pm: Hit the “liquor depot” in the hometown
7:30pm: Hope the guy pulls the dinner from the oven
7:50pm: Arrive home, finish dinner and enjoy with a glass of vino purchased @ the aforementioned “liquor depot”

The kicker - the plan worked!  It’s now 9:23pm, my guy is at the gym, I’ve got a clean kitchen, I’m eating cookie dough, writing a blog, and listening to Seinfeld reruns!  Planning is genius.

The down-low on the din-din:
Pre seasoned “applewood smoked” turkey tenderloin $6.99 at Target
Frozen whole green beans $1.28
Mushroom flavored Uncle Ben’s Rice $1.68

I did cook the turkey wrapped in foil, then at the last minute I rubbed it with butter and broiled for color, toss the green beans in garlic, olive oil, and salt...I must admit I did not however tweak the mushroom rice :)

As for the wine:

I caved under the pressure, peer pressure that is.  Minus the occasional turkey burger I’ve not dabbled in the turkey-outside-turkey-day thing much in the past.  Couple that with the liquor depot in the the hometown scenario, and that outrageous label, and you see how I ended up with a beaujolais nouveau.  I know, please don’t judge. 

George Duboeuf knows what’s up the guy just knows how to get the juice from the grape into the bottle and on the shelf so the money gets into his pocket quickly!  This leaves me with a chillable red wine that is light enough for my everyday poultry.

Money Talks:  
The wine was $8.99, the dinner was $9.95 (including leftovers) and I would say altogether a good match on the flavor profile as well.  The super fuchsia vino was practially tannin-less with strawberry candy, pepper, and raspberry jelly on the nose which complimented the salty, slightly smokey turkey in the same way apple sauce and a smoked pork chop are a match made in heaven.  I’d say for the price and time, the dinner was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment