Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Backstory. Honestly.

Honesty is a good policy, and in keeping with that very cliche adage, I’d like to start this blog off honestly.  I am a girl who enthusiastically enjoys food, wine, cooking, and eating.  I like to go out, “ooh” and “aah” over expensive dinners (occasionally) with friends or my guy and then (inspired) go home and try desperately to recreate not only the food but the experience.  Is that wrong? I think not.  I’m someone who knows what she likes...well, maybe just has a general idea of said likes.  I’ve taken myself to culinary school, then another college where I followed my dream of attempting to become a food writer, then on to sommelier school.  See what I mean about generalizing my likes?

In an effort to fully disclose I’ll mention that I’ve owned a restaurant that I would consider somewhat successful.  Maybe success isn’t measured in the same way for everyone.  I consider it a success because it happened.  I lived my dream of owning a restaurant - a place where people came to have a good time, share conversation, “ooh” and “aah” over pricey dishes, celebrate anniversaries and birthdays, and where they too were inspired to go to their homes and recreate the experience.  I’ve also closed that place and moved on; one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.  Luckily for me I have a most amazing family that supports every whim each of us has, and always will.  So many things changed in my life when I took the giant leap of faith into sole proprietorship: I found myself in charge, I learned to make decisions, I discovered hard work, humility, reality, and in the midst of struggle and success...my guy found me. Here is where the blog begins (sounds a little cheesy, I know, better get used to it!).

And so the stage is set!  the goal here is to explore the things I’m passionate about.  I’m not checking my grammar, or putting any pressure on myself to make this space perfect in any way, because otherwise this might as well be work!  I’m going to share what I will when I have time and, honestly, have fun with it! In doing so I’m hoping to maintain/increase my wine and food knowledge, and to dabble in writing a bit more.  I hope this is a stimulating process for you, but mostly, I can’t wait to read this in 20 years and see how life has changed....here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment