Saturday, September 1, 2012

Sausage Fest

Tonight was a big night.  I haven’t mentioned it too much but my guy and I recently chose the route of co-habitation (shocking I know!), and so we’re bravely weathering through many many “firsts” together.  Luckily I am very, well, lucky.  My guy is pretty cool, and tonight is a good example of that. 

It all started last night when I had a big deal at work and was up late, now today I find myself with what I can only describe as a tension headache.  I woke up with a sore jaw (possibly from clenching teeth a night), and stemming from that a sore neck and an aching head.  Cut to me laying on the couch all day watching Breaking Bad and romantic comedies on Netflix and you're starting to understand. 

Until now, I’ve been the cook (a job I’ve happily taken on) in the apartment, but today, it’s not gonna happen.  I was shocked when the announcement was made that not only would I not be cooking, but I could expect a house made concoction from the guy. Amazing.  So I watched from the sidelines.

The Ingredients Purchased:

  • 1 package sausages
  • 1 package Sara Lee (yes, he spared no expense) buns
  • 2 cans of chili - 2 brands, 1 with beans, 1 without (he covers all bases)
  • 1 pound of potatoes (yes, that’s the vegetable)
  • 1 box caramel filled Nestle Drumsticks (the boy’s a genius)
  • 1 box Therma Care wraps for neck, back, wrist etc. (Gotta love Him)

The Preparation
As far as I can tell, he combined the chilis, grilled the sausages, fried the potatoes, wrapped the oh so lovely Therma Care on my neck, handed me a computer, ignored my sappy Netflix situation and made my night. 

Side Note: He’s a rockstar, but we may have to work on portion control (we totally couldn’t eat all he prepared!). 

The Wine
What goes with chili dogs you ask?? Well, I answered that with Rose.  It was suggested I have some wine, as it may have possibly been the most healthy thing all evening :)

I happened to have a French rose on hand of which I believe I spent a whopping $7.99 on at the local market.  Bieler Pere et Fils which is, from what I can tell, a blend of grapes from the northern Rhone the color is a beautiful pink, but the wine is no white zin.  It has a delicious strawberry and watermelon characteristic, but the acid is high enough to combat that fatty chili sausage combo.  This wine would be delicious on a hot summer day near the pool with some melon as well, don’t think “sweet” when you see this cute pink number on the shelf, and don’t be scared by the Frenchy French French label either!

Because dinner was not completely revealed to me, I was glad to have such a nice pair on hand.  Remember, most of wine pairing is drinking something you’ll enjoy,  you don’t have to fret over each and every pairing, you may discover something new that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment