Monday, December 3, 2012

Whoa, it's almost Christmas!

Let me start by pointing out the obvious - it's December.  I'm not sure how this happened, but it did, and although it's still in the mid 80s where I live, (forgive the cliche) it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. 

Just glimpse into my world for a minute...

To Do:
  1. Get a tree
  2. Decorate the aforementioned tree
  3. Put together a work Christmas outing/party
  4. Attend a work party with the guy
  5. Secure gifts for about 15 people
  6. Wrap those gifts
  7. Shop for my Angel tree child
  8. Shop with Santa's Helpers
  9. Make a homemade gift
  10. Move those gifts to the appropriate parties/gathering
  11. Bring pot luck dishes
  12. Attend Christmas celebrations at Mom and Dad's, Coleman's Mom's, and 2 sets of grandparent's homes.

ALL of that, while going to work, catering other people's Christmas parties, saving money, and losing weight. (AAAAH!)

Feelin' the pressure?  Who's with me??

This year we can all sit around Mom's Table :)
To be honest the best part about all these gatherings is not the gifts, but of course, the food.  While I love cooking, and preparing yummy things to surprise my family, my all-time favorite part of the whole season is after all the preparations have been made, every checklist completed, the gifts unwrapped, and the main course eaten.  The time when some are eating dessert, some are drinking coffee and everyone pushes back from the table a bit and  the conversations really begin.  There is nothing like sitting around a holiday table catching up with people I don't see all year, sipping port, dessert wine, or coffee (in my Mawmaw's case Bailey's with a splash of coffee) relaxing and enjoying the company.  I love that warm and satisfying feeling of time well spent, the hubbub done, and looking ahead to a year all shiny and new in the distance. 

I've got better goal this year and that table is my finish line.  I am going to work to be so happy and full of the spirit of the holidays while checking all those things off my list and land safely at that table flanked by people I love.  I hope you've got a table to go home to.  I hope even if you're finish line is at an "in-laws" house or you've got to set that table yourself, you soak in that moment when everything is done, the anticipation is over - it was worth it!  Let that relaxation sink in to your bones.  Forget about the how the green beans needed salt or that the kids are running in and out of the room and be full of joy.  That's my goal. 

Merry Christmas everyone!  Sitting down at the table is only 22 days away!
PalletSmart made my Mom's Table.  They're having an open house December 8th


No comments:

Post a Comment